A bright normal-length lens, the Canon EF-mount YN 50mm f/1.4 from Yongnuo is a versatile prime well-suited for available-light photography in a variety of situations. The fast f/1.4 maximum aperture offers increased control over depth of field for working with shallow depth of field techniques and also suits working in difficult lighting conditions. The optical design incorporates four ultra-high refractive index elements, which reduce spherical aberrations and distortion, and individual elements feature a multi-layer coating to suppress flare and ghosting for improved contrast and color accuracy when working in strong lighting conditions. A DC motor affords quick and accurate autofocus performance and a switch lets you quickly change from AF and MF focusing methods. Additionally, a micro-USB port is integrated in the lens design to permit installing firmware updates.
- Normal prime is designed for full-frame Canon EF-mount DSLRs, however can also be used with APS-C models where it provides an 80mm equivalent focal length.
- Fast f/1.4 maximum aperture affords a great deal of control over depth of field for isolating subjects and using selective focus, and also benefits working in low-light conditions.
- Four ultra-high refractive index elements help to minimize distortion and spherical aberrations for greater sharpness and accurate subject rendering.
- Individual glass elements feature a multi-layer coating to resist flare and ghosting for improved contrast and color fidelity.
- A DC motor is used for quick and accurate autofocus performance, and a dedicated switch lets you quickly change from AF to MF control. A focus distance scale is also featured to aid with pre-focusing techniques.
- Chrome-plated metal lens mount is durable and accurate for a secure fit with the camera body, and gold-plated contacts help to ensure consistent communication between the lens and camera.
- Seven-blade diaphragm contributes to a smooth bokeh quality.
- A micro-USB port is incorporated for updating the lens’s firmware.